Hello and welcome to our rambles. Grab a coffee, sit yourself down and stay a while. Get to know us. Feel free to leave a comment so we can get to know you too.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Edson Alberta

It has been a while and for that I am sorry.  We have just been having too much fun.  That and lousy Internet connections (some of the time)

Before leaving Las Vegas we bought tickets to see the Phantom of the Opera.  I love live theatre.  The setting was opulent.  Unfortunately we were not allowed to take pictures.  What a wonderful evening out.  It felt good to get dressed up. 

The heat here amazes me. When you open the door to go outside it feels exactly like you just opened the oven door to check the progress of supper. The thermometer on the side of Serenity read 126 degrees. Even when we left at 4 AM the temperature was 86. Never thought I would ever find 86 cool but it was. I am sure you can fry an egg on the pavement. I don't know how the dogs could walk on it without burning their pads, but it didn't seem to bother them at all. 

We drove to California to explore the Mojave desert.  Lots of empty brown land with shrub brushed all over.  So different from the lush green landscape I am used to.  It definitely has a beauty all its own.  

After two weeks in the scorching desert heat we left for Idaho.  We stopped for a week there in order to visit Yellowstone and see the geysers.  The first thing we noticed was the cold and the second was the mosquitoes.  The locals didn't find it cold at all but I guess after so long in the heat of Florida and the trek across the south we were getting used to temps in the 80s and 90s.

We drove into Yellowstone and visited Old Faithful.  It was fascinating.  The rangers explained what was happening and why which made it all the more interesting.  We stopped along the way to see a few other hot spots and then headed south towards the Grand Tetons. They were beautiful but my biggest problem was all the people.  The park was packed.  I am sure it is that way all summer.  I lived in British Columbia for nearly 20 years.  Ten of those years was in the northern part of the province where population is more sparse.  I have seen the Rockies many times without the crowds so I am guessing I am spoiled.  I did have the opportunity to take many pictures but right at this moment I don't have access to them. (long story) but when I do I will post some of them. 

On our way back from the park Ira decided to take a short cut.  As my son once told me - there is no such thing as a short cut.  If there was a shorter better way it would be the way! Well the route to the campground was only 30 miles.  It took us over 3 hours.  By my calculations that was an average of about 10 miles an hour.  LONG DRIVE.  Mind you the scenery was beautiful but the road bad.  My biggest worry was that we would get nearly through and the road become impassable.  Maybe a bridge out or a tree across the road.  But we met some oncoming traffic.  Yes even on that road there was traffic.  I relaxed then because I knew if they came in we could continue going out.  After that I enjoyed the slow pace, the wildlife and beautiful vistas.

We are now sitting at my sons place in Edson Alberta.  Edson is a smaller town about 2 hours west of Edmonton.  It is an ideal place because we are 2 hours to a big city if we want city life but we are also less that 2 hours to the Rockies if we want some back country entertainment. 

I am enjoying playing with my grandchildren and helping my DIL in the office.

They are so well behaved and a joy to be around.  Their parents should be proud.

We spent a few days playing on the ATVs or Quads.  Of course we had to find some mud to play in. Not really all that hard as there has been so much rain.

 My second son and my granddaughter.

 Now it is my turn. 

These will never be the same. :(

My oldest son and wife own and run a business from their property.  They have their home, 2 shops and an office building along with 4 or 5 trucks and various other equipment needed to run that business.  This affords them to opportunity to live comfortably.  Bear with me as I do have a point to this.  Along with being Independence Day, July4th is also my grandson Carter's birthday.  On this July 4th he turned 5 years old.  I am thinking this will be a birthday none of us will soon forget.

This is one of their shops.  The only thing saved was one of the ATVs and that was only because it was parked right at the doors.  It was heartbreaking to watch most of what my child has worked for going up in smoke and there was just nothing we could do.  I just kept telling Jaime that we were fortunate that no one was hurt. And that the only damage it did to the house (which is just out of the picture to the left) was warp some of the vinyl siding.  The fire was an accident caused by one of their employees.  He, fortunately, got out with only some mild smoke inhalation.  Of course the ambulance (which arrived with the fire department) took him in just to be sure.

This is the truck we was working in when it caught.  I just don't believe how fast the whole shop went up.

I have been spending a lot of time with Jaime in the office completing a listing of stock for the insurance company.  The hardest part is we also have to dig through back records to find the invoices for all this to provide a price, place and date of purchase to the insurance company. I didn't realize how much stuff was in there.  As I said, a July 4th we won't soon forget.

A few days ago we decided again to take the quads out for an afternoon of fun.  It really didn't matter that it was raining.  I wish I could have gotten pictures of the puddle or should I say small pond we got stuck in.  It was over 2 feet deep with a bottom of about 6 inches of soft mud.  It was just not a place to dig out the camera but I am sure we will do it again and then I will get pictures.

We rode up to a cabin on the mountain maintained by the local ski-doo club and cooked up supper.
That is the back of Jaime's head and those hot dogs sure tasted good.  The fire was welcome too to dry out wet clothing. 

You can see behind me how muddy the trails were.  Nothing like playing in the mud.  I guess I have never really grown up.  But I was warm and dry and having so much fun.  I can't wait to go again.

This was taken from the deck on the front of the cabin.  I love this area and miss living here.  However that being said those 8 month winters are not so appealing to me anymore.  


  1. Wow, a lot packed in! Sorry to hear about the fire, it must have been heartbreaking. Enjoy your time with the grandkids!

  2. Wow, Vicky, you're pretty adventurous on those ATVs! My boys would love that! Today we are getting our first rain in a LONG time -- and it's much needed! Neddless to say, not much mud around here! So sorry to see that fire, but glad that nobody was hurt - Thanks God! Looks and sounds like you're having a great summer -- we've got our house back on the market, and are praying that a buyer will come along soon!

  3. Wow, you have had quite the adventures since your last blog post. What a ferocious fire. Take care and safe travels!

  4. Glad to see no one was seriously hurt in the fire...it is still devastating no matter what...now the battle of dealing with the insurance companies..glad to see you were able to have a little ATV fun after all was said and done...we love to take ours out on muddy wet roads...and have gotten ourselves into some pretty mucky areas....

    1. Mud is good! I think it is the kid in all of us.