Hello and welcome to our rambles. Grab a coffee, sit yourself down and stay a while. Get to know us. Feel free to leave a comment so we can get to know you too.



Sunday, June 3, 2012

Flagstaff Az

The past few days have been busy ones again.  Good thing we are retired.  Don't know how we would find the time to do everything.

As I said in my last post on Thursday we drove up to the grand canyon.  It didn't take long to blast my way through all the space on my memory card in my camera.  The place is fantastic.  Everywhere you look you see an opportunity to take another photo.


Way down at the bottom is the Colorado River.

On Friday we drove over to the Painted Dessert and the Petrified Forest.  The place is just fascinating.  I once had a prof in university who used to say that the only way to truly understand ones place in the universe was to stand on the top of a mountain and look at the vastness around.  Only then can one realize how small and totally insignificant one is in the grand scheme of things.  To prove his point he took the class to Baxter State Park in Maine to climb Mount Katahdin.  From that vantage point looking down I realized that he was right.  Well yesterday I rediscovered that fact as I was standing in the middle of the Painted Dessert surrounded by vastness and farness. I truly wish I had the gift of words that could paint the picture for you. This will have to do instead. Even though pictures never do it justice.

That log that you see in the above picture is actually rock now.  It was a tree growing in the area about 225 million years ago.  How different the land was then. That tree was alive before dinosaurs roamed the Earth. 

So were the ones in this photo. 

Yesterday was our 4th wedding anniversary so last night we went out to dinner.  Ira checked out reviews on a restaurant in Flagstaff that served Indian food.  Normally I don't like that food as most of it is cooked with curry and I don't like curry.  But this place was fantastic.  The chef came out to talk to us so that I could tell him exactly what kind of food I do  like and how I like it spiced.  My meal was perfect.  We would definitely go back there again.

Today we just wandered around historic downtown Flagstaff.  So many neat little shops with products created by local artists.  I forgot to take my camera or even my cell with me so no pictures at all. 


When Ira and I changed our eating habits to eat healthier I thought giving up the bread would be the hardest thing.  I was addicted to the empty calories of the soft smooshy white bread.  I am surprised to say that I don't miss it at all. In fact the other day I had some toast and couldn't really eat it.  It didn't taste nearly as good as I remembered.  Now ice cream...........that is a totally different story.  I love ice cream and it tastes every bit as good as I remembered.  I really do try to not have it as often as I would like. 

Tomorrow we pack up again to hit the road early Monday morning.  We are on our way to Vegas.  Another first for me. 

Stay safe out there everyone.  I hope we can meet one day down the road somewhere.

7 comments:

  1. You bring back lots of memories. Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, Los Vegas and even Baxter State Park. And I also no longer like white bread. And as with you - ICE CREAM! I surely could not give that up but I have cut down on the portion size.

    Congrats on the anniversary - here's wishing for many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phyllis. We enjoyed our night out.

      Delete
  2. Good for you, one year! We've been full-timing for 8 months now, but in the same spot :) We can't wait to get to places such as the Grand Canyon, and everywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the well wishes. We are certainly enjoying ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! And enjoy Las Vegas. Like it or not, there is no other place the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Boonedocks. las Vegas sure is a place unto itself!

    ReplyDelete